If you’re already optimizing your website for SEO, or simply passionate about this field and want to learn more, the concept of “backlink” may be familiar.
We will be discussing at leisure what backlinks are, how to recognize a high-quality backlink, and most importantly, how to strengthen the website’s backlink base.
What is a Backlink?
Backlinks, also known as “external and inbound links”, are URL links that link from one website to another. Google and other search engines consider backlinks to be “votes of trust” for a page. Websites with a lot of backlinks rank higher in search engine results.
What is the importance of a backlink for SEO?
Google’s algorithm uses backlinks as a ranking factor. Not only is it important for the quantity, but also for the quality. Each backlink, as I have said, is nothing but an “external voto de confianza”, which is a guarantee that search engines will find relevant, valuable and powerful content on the page. The two domains will then be subject to a transfer of authority. A backlink is worth more if it has a higher authority than the page that referred to it.
Backlinks can also be a source of valuable traffic. This depends on the site that recommended your page and the relevancy of your page to your target audience.
There are many factors that affect the quality of a backlink.
What are the key features of a high-quality external link?
1. It is credible and authoritative.
Search engines are like journalists in that they carefully choose their sources. You would be more confident in information found on a page from a well-respected media trust than information shared by a friend on social networking sites. Google will also recognize more value in a link from a website that has a high DA or DR score.
2. Your domain is relevant to the page from which the backlink is being sent.
Google is interested in establishing a link between two websites.
If you publish a SEO article on dentistry, your backlink will be more valuable than if it comes from a general platform.
Don’t forget about relevance, authority and all that! You won’t get the best results if you have a page that has low authority but high relevance.
3. The anchor word of the link contains the keyword
The anchor word refers to the visible portion of the link, or better yet, the visible word/phrase within the text where we will place the URL hyperlink. It is important that the anchor contain the keyword of your site in order to increase the value of the backlink. This is usually found in the link. This type of anchor is known as Exact Match Anchor Text.
4. The link in the text is “Dofollow”.
There are two types of backlinks. One is very valuable for SEO purposes. Here it is:
Search engines will ignore links if there is a “Nofollow” tag. These backlinks don’t convey any value between sites.
Dofollow links, on the other hand, are external links everyone wants to be linked because they permit that authority transfer we mentioned earlier.
But be careful! As long as the links are credible and reliable, dofollow links can add value to your site. You may also find “toxic” backlinks that are obtained from sites not trusted or violate the search engine’s terms. These backlinks could lead to your website being de-indexed or penalized.
Remember that Google rankings are not based on the number of backlinks, but the quality.
5. This backlink is from a domain which has never recommended you before
It can be difficult to find new sources that will link to your pages. However, it is worth the effort. A Backlinko study found that there is a strong correlation between backlinks and page ranking in search engine results.
How can you obtain quality backlinks to your website?
We have already discussed the characteristics of a quality backlink. How can we make sure that quality backlinks are generated to our website?
These are five easy ways to build a solid backlink foundation.
1. You should create quality content that is relevant to your field. Include “shareable” content like blog articles, infographics and case studies. This information will spread quickly organically and generate backlinks from other relevant sources.
You can reach a Content Writing specialist if you need assistance!
2. Write content that is of interest to other blogs (Guest Post). Many specialized websites have such an editorial policy and offer a place for expression and promotion to different people who are experts in the field.
3. You can create valuable audio, video or photo materials in your field of expertise. You can easily share any relevant, quality content online, no matter what format it was created in.
4. Reach out to influencers. While domestic influencers tend to rely more on social media, blogs are still a valuable channel. Many brands want to be mentioned in their articles.
You can negotiate a set of articles with “Dofollow” links. They will generate significant traffic to your recommended pages in addition to their SEO contribution.
5. Incorporate links into your Social Media Marketing strategy. Remember that Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as LinkedIn, are all websites. Any link in a post can be a valuable backlink to your website.